Nurse Manager Joshua Meals | Podcast in Place #53
Joshua Meals is a clinical nurse manager at Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage. He oversees an acute care nursing floor with a staff of over 60 nurses. While they don’t treat patients with Covid, they still feel the ripple effects of how the pandemic disrupts the hospital.
ATMI producer Ada Bjorkman spoke with Meals about managing the acute care unit during the pandemic, how staffing shortages impact the nurses and patients, and how he works with his team to make sure they continue to provide the best care possible during this stressful time.
They spoke on January 19th, 2022.
Hosted by Forrest Rodgers.
Music by Devin Shreckengost and Kendrick Whiteman.
Alaska Teen Media Institute is based in Anchorage, Alaska. We would like to acknowledge the Dena’ina people, whose land we work on.
Many thanks to supporters of our podcast including United Way of Anchorage for the Healthy Communities Funding Program.
The opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this podcast are those of our guests and do not necessarily reflect the views of the United Way of Anchorage or the Municipality of Anchorage, Anchorage Health Department.
RESOURCES FOR YOUTH DURING QUARANTINE
From the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention!
- How to get your home ready
- What to do if you are sick
- Cleaning and disinfecting recommendations
- How to cope with stress
- Frequently Asked Questions
Other wellness resources!
- What foster kids need to know during COVID-19
- Careline: Alaska Suicide Prevention and someone to talk to line.
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233 and TTY 1-800-787-3224 or text LOVEIS to 22522
- Call 2-1-1 or Help Me Grow Alaska 1-833-464-2527 for help connecting to resources and services or for help knowing where to start
These resources provided in collaboration with the State of Alaska, Department of Health and Social Services, Division of Behavioral Health.