In this special episode, we take a look at how the pandemic has affected youth experiencing homelessness and programs working to provide them with an opportunity for a better life.
Hosted by Yule Zhang.
Music by Devin Shreckengost and Tyler Felson.
Interviews conducted by Quinn White, Daisy Carter, Danielle DuClos, and Cornilius Nelson. The show was written by Chloe Chaobal, Sam Bernitz, Danielle DuClos, Yule Zhang, and Daisy Carter.
If you or someone you know is experiencing homelessness or living in an unstable housing situation, you can contact Covenant House Alaska at (907) 272-1255. More information can be found at covenanthouseak.org.
If you are a member of the LGBTQ+ community seeking more specialized resources, you can contact Choosing Our Roots at (907) 764-6233 or firstname.lastname@example.org. More information can be found at choosingourroots.org.
Regardless of your housing situation, if you are struggling with your mental health and need someone to speak to, you can call the Alaska Careline at (877) 266-4357. It’s toll free and you can call anytime. You can also text 4help to 839863 (3pm – 11pm, Tuesday – Saturday). More information at carelinealaska.com.
Alaska Teen Media Institute is based in Anchorage, Alaska. We would like to acknowledge the Dena’ina people, whose land we work on.
Many thanks to supporters of our podcast including Della Cutchins, Spirit of Youth, and the United Way of Anchorage. The views expressed in this program do not necessarily represent the views of our sponsors.
RESOURCES FOR YOUTH DURING QUARANTINE
From the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention!
- How to get your home ready
- What to do if you are sick
- Cleaning and disinfecting recommendations
- How to cope with stress
- Frequently Asked Questions
Other wellness resources!
- What foster kids need to know during COVID-19
- Careline: Alaska Suicide Prevention and someone to talk to line.
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233 and TTY 1-800-787-3224 or text LOVEIS to 22522
- Call 2-1-1 or Help Me Grow Alaska 1-833-464-2527 for help connecting to resources and services or for help knowing where to start
These resources provided in collaboration with the State of Alaska, Department of Health and Social Services, Division of Behavioral Health.