Mask Mission AK is a group of West Anchorage High School students who are organizing Alaskans in the making of homemade masks which they donate to areas of our community in need during the coronavirus pandemic. So far, they have provided over 1,400 masks to various sites such as ANMC, Alaska Regional Hospital, Bean’s Cafe, Anchorage Health Dept, USO JBER, Anchorage Fire Department, and more!
ATMI senior producer Quinn White spoke with Sharon Kim, the group’s founder, and Caitlyn Omey, their vice president and head of public relations, to talk about the work that they are doing in our community.
The interview was recorded remotely on July 21st, 2020.
Hosted by Ormund Alaois.
Music by Devin Shreckengost.
Many thanks to supporters of our podcast including United Way of Anchorage and the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Rasmuson Foundation through the Arts in Education Fund administered, under contract, by the Alaska State Council on the Arts.
RESOURCES FOR YOUTH DURING QUARANTINE
From the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention!
- How to get your home ready
- What to do if you are sick
- Cleaning and disinfecting recommendations
- How to cope with stress
- Frequently Asked Questions
Other wellness resources!
- What foster kids need to know during COVID-19
- Careline: Alaska Suicide Prevention and someone to talk to line.
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233 and TTY 1-800-787-3224 or text LOVEIS to 22522
- Call 2-1-1 or Help Me Grow Alaska 1-833-464-2527 for help connecting to resources and services or for help knowing where to start.
These resources provided in collaboration with the State of Alaska, Department of Health and Social Services, Division of Behavioral Health.