For two years now, we’ve been living through the Covid-19 pandemic. A century ago the world was consumed by another deadly virus, commonly known as The Spanish Influenza.
Spreading worldwide mainly in 1918 and 1919, it is estimated that one third of the world’s population became infected with the virus. Approximately 50 million people died, and in the U.S. the death toll was around 675,000.
David Reamer is an Alaska historian who has been researching this particular period of the state’s history. Since the onset of Covid-19, he has written articles for the Anchorage Daily News about the Spanish Influenza and other public health crises throughout the years.
ATMI senior producer Quinn White spoke with Reamer about his research. He talked about how the virus affected urban and rural areas differently, how Alaskans responded to subsequent public health outbreaks, and the stark parallels to what we’re all living through today.
They spoke on January 26th, 2022.
Hosted by Ada Bjorkman.
Music by Kendrick Whiteman and Devin Shreckengost.
Alaska Teen Media Institute is based in Anchorage, Alaska. We would like to acknowledge the Dena’ina people, whose land we work on.
Many thanks to supporters of our podcast including United Way of Anchorage for the Healthy Communities Funding Program.
The opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this podcast are those of our guests and do not necessarily reflect the views of the United Way of Anchorage or the Municipality of Anchorage, Anchorage Health Department.
RESOURCES FOR YOUTH DURING QUARANTINE
From the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention!
- How to get your home ready
- What to do if you are sick
- Cleaning and disinfecting recommendations
- How to cope with stress
- Frequently Asked Questions
Other wellness resources!
- What foster kids need to know during COVID-19
- Careline: Alaska Suicide Prevention and someone to talk to line.
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233 and TTY 1-800-787-3224 or text LOVEIS to 22522
- Call 2-1-1 or Help Me Grow Alaska 1-833-464-2527 for help connecting to resources and services or for help knowing where to start
These resources provided in collaboration with the State of Alaska, Department of Health and Social Services, Division of Behavioral Health.