Podcast in Place: Episode 50 – Dr. Andy Elsberg
This fall, Alaska became the state with the highest coronavirus case rates per capita, and has been experiencing record hospitalizations. Twenty health care facilities across the state have been operating under crisis standards of care due to the surge and staffing issues.
For this episode, we hear from Dr. Andy Elsberg, an emergency physician in Anchorage. He talks with ATMI producer Zinn Rogers about how the increase of Covid patients affects the rest of the hospital, the mental toll on health care professionals, and how he’s observed the community reacting to the pandemic.
Hosted by Madison Knutson.
Music by Devin Shreckengost and Kendrick Whiteman.
Alaska Teen Media Institute is based in Anchorage, Alaska. We would like to acknowledge the Dena’ina people, whose land we work on.
Many thanks to supporters of our podcast including United Way of Anchorage and individual donors James McCoy and Rosey Robards.
RESOURCES FOR YOUTH DURING QUARANTINE
From the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention!
- How to get your home ready
- What to do if you are sick
- Cleaning and disinfecting recommendations
- How to cope with stress
- Frequently Asked Questions
Other wellness resources!
- What foster kids need to know during COVID-19
- Careline: Alaska Suicide Prevention and someone to talk to line.
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233 and TTY 1-800-787-3224 or text LOVEIS to 22522
- Call 2-1-1 or Help Me Grow Alaska 1-833-464-2527 for help connecting to resources and services or for help knowing where to start
These resources provided in collaboration with the State of Alaska, Department of Health and Social Services, Division of Behavioral Health.