Ed Dodd and his wife purchased Classic Toys in 1998 from its original owners. It has been longstanding local business in the community that has seen generations of customers come through its doors.
Normally the holiday shopping season would be its most profitable time of the year. But when you add in a pandemic and city-wide mandates on businesses and local gatherings, it because increasingly difficult to keep a store like Classic Toys afloat.
ATMI senior producer Daisy Carter spoke with Ed to talk about how the pandemic has affected his business, how this holiday shopping season will be different, and the lasting support Anchorage residents have shown Classic Toys.
They spoke over Zoom on December 8th, 2020.
Hosted by Ryan Danigole.
Music by Devin Shreckengost and Kendrick Whiteman.
Alaska Teen Media Institute is based in Anchorage, Alaska. We would like to acknowledge the Dena’ina people, whose land we work on.
Many thanks to supporters of our podcast including John O’Hara, James McCoy, the Anchorage Museum, United Way of Anchorage, the Alaska Humanities Forum, and the National Endowment for the Humanities. The views expressed in this program do not necessarily represent the views of the National Endowment for the Humanities or other sponsors.
RESOURCES FOR YOUTH DURING QUARANTINE
From the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention!
- How to get your home ready
- What to do if you are sick
- Cleaning and disinfecting recommendations
- How to cope with stress
- Frequently Asked Questions
Other wellness resources!
- What foster kids need to know during COVID-19
- Careline: Alaska Suicide Prevention and someone to talk to line.
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233 and TTY 1-800-787-3224 or text LOVEIS to 22522
- Call 2-1-1 or Help Me Grow Alaska 1-833-464-2527 for help connecting to resources and services or for help knowing where to start
These resources provided in collaboration with the State of Alaska, Department of Health and Social Services, Division of Behavioral Health.