Podcast in Place: Youth Stories From Quarantine – Episode 34: Guidance Counselor Sean Schubert
Sean Schubert is part of the workforce development team at King Technical High School in Anchorage. As Schubert describes it, he helps young men and women to take that next step in high school into whatever awaits them, whether that be college, trade school, the military, or a job.
But with the pandemic causing schools to switch to online learning, Schubert’s role has shifted a bit. He’s also leading classes on American sign language, philosophy, business management, English, and African-American studies. But students still come to him for guidance.
ATMI senior producer and King Tech alum, Daisy Carter spoke with Schubert to discuss the challenges of working with students remotely, added stress that youth are experiencing right now, and advice for young people preparing to enter the workforce. She was joined by new ATMI producer Zach Lovell, who is also an alum of King Tech.
They spoke over Zoom on January 8th, 2021.
Hosted by Jeremiah Freeman.
Music by Devin Shreckengost.
Many thanks to supporters of our podcast including United Way of Anchorage and the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Rasmuson Foundation through the Arts in Education Fund administered, under contract, by the Alaska State Council on the Arts.
RESOURCES FOR YOUTH DURING QUARANTINE
From the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention!
- How to get your home ready
- What to do if you are sick
- Cleaning and disinfecting recommendations
- How to cope with stress
- Frequently Asked Questions
Other wellness resources!
- What foster kids need to know during COVID-19
- Careline: Alaska Suicide Prevention and someone to talk to line.
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233 and TTY 1-800-787-3224 or text LOVEIS to 22522
- Call 2-1-1 or Help Me Grow Alaska 1-833-464-2527 for help connecting to resources and services or for help knowing where to start
These resources provided in collaboration with the State of Alaska, Department of Health and Social Services, Division of Behavioral Health.
Department of Labor: dol.gov
Alaska Job Center Network: jobs.alaska.gov
Alaska Job Corps: alaska.jobcorps.gov